Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Stay at Home Mom

For those of you who missed the subtle change to my profile, about a month ago I became a full time stay at home mom. OK so I was on maternity leave for 3 months prior to that, but effective August 24th I resigned from my position as staff RN. WOW, what a big change!!! I have been a nurse for the past 11 years, my career was such a defining part of who I was that I was afraid that I would be losing a part of myself if I left nursing for a while. It wasn't the money or the security I clung to, but rather the title that I could define myself by. I thought that I would feel a little lost, but to be honest I am WAY to busy to even notice. It's really nice not to have to juggle child care and meals and laundry days and getting my kids from place to place. And I realize more and more how important it is for me to be at home with my kids. They get busier and busier the older they get and I am really cherishing the time I have with little Leah.

Fall is also such a busy time for putting up food for winter. Below are some pictures of Tal helping me to make apple rings and slices. He is a great helper.

We made 5 dryers full of apple rings and slices, several dryers of apricot roll-ups, canned peaches, pears, cherries, apricots and salsa, froze strawberries, raspberries, beans, corn, and peaches, and still have carrots and diced tomatoes to can. Below is a picture of my square-foot garden. This is my second year and it is the perfect size for us. We have enough to eat and a little to share without to much work. We grew radishes, carrots, 2 kinds of peas, lettuces, swiss chard, bok choy, yellow wax beans, green onions, red peppers, jalapeno peppers, crook neck squash and lots of tomatoes. In addition we also have a strawberry patch and a raspberry patch.

I haven't got to spend as much time in my gardens as I like this year, but I am growing something even more important than plants - children of God. I love you little Meeks :)




3 comments:

Andrew said...

Donalee,

If you are the Donalee from the BYU Jerusalem Winter 1999 semester, then I found you and I want to get you info on an upcoming 10 year reunion we are having in April, 2009. Email me with your contact info.

Andrew Eaton
eatonandrew @ gmail.com

Jeff and Angela Boyle said...

Way to go on your garden and the canning! Man, I wish I lived closer to you so I could have you teach me again how to do that - you know how you helped me with the peaches and pears in Moscow, well guess what? Every single one of the lids burst over the summer because I had to keep them in the garage for awhile and it got too hot. I had to dump them ALL! I was so bummed. From now on, I will keep them inside!

Sean, Jessi and Jaydn Coletti said...

Hey- we dried a bunch of apples this yea too! They are SO good! Also, i LOVE the pictures of Leah and mom. Very beautiful! I've been meaning to call you, but the last few week-ends we have been out of town. We have to get together soon-
Love Jessi