Saturday, August 14, 2010

Activity Day Camp

I have a soft spot for the Activity Days for Girls Program. I was the leader in our ward until I was called into the Relief Society Presidency. I begged and pleaded not to be released, but alas, it was not to be. The Activity Days Leader is THE BEST calling in the church. So when our ward needed a second leader to go to Day Camp at the last minute I was thrilled (once I got the babysitting arranged). I had a fantastic day getting "Wet and Wild" with my daughter Abi and the other girls at Krupp Scout Hollow.
One of our first stations was the Dunking Booth. My little Abi hopped right up to be the first one in line. She was so brave. She hit her head and came up spluttering but after toweling off, she was back in line to do it again.
I challenged all of the girls that if they would get dunked, I would. Sadly, they did not all catch the vision of "Wet and Wild" days until a few stations in. But I saw 2 other leaders get dunked, and I guess you lead by example. I was a little nervous, the water was very cold, but it was a blast.
We played water volleyball, slid down a long water slide, were soaked by basketball sized water balloons, and played water kickball and other water games. One of our favorite stations was Soccer where we played with this giant beach ball on a field where the sprinklers were going. Any lingering thoughts about any semblance of dryness were sodden as soon as the whistle blew. Oh, but it was soooo fun. Especially beating the big, burly scout staffer and his team with our team of 2 leaders and girls. Whoot Whoot!!!
Our soaking but happy group at the end of the day.

1 comment:

Phil Meek said...

I'm really happy you all had such a great summer, with all the activities. I know your family made the right choice to take the activities over going to Arizona for Granda LaMoyne's birthday, but I sure missed seeing all of you. Love to all, Grandpa Meek