Wednesday, January 9, 2008

If I were a bear, I would hibernate....

January is such a tough month to get through. January is just snow, and cold, and nothing to look forward too, except the end. If I were any other animal, I would just hibernate until February. When we lived in Moscow, during Kris's first year of law school I had a really bad bout of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), basically depression. The kind where you don't get out of your PJ's, you sleep ALL the time, and you cry the rest of the time. Thanks to my husband and some good friends we worked out a plan to get me through those dark days in Moscow. And let me tell you, Moscow is dark in the winter. Then sun sets about 3:45 and by 4:00 it is dark. But you can't see the sun because it is overcast and rainy from November to April. So here is what gets me through winter, especially January. I am interested in seeing what you all do, so please post back.
  1. My Happy Light - Bright sunlight lamp that I sit by for 15-20 minutes a day while I read or work on the computer.
  2. Excercise - My neighbor Ranay and I walk around our church building several mornings a week. This also fulfills #3.
  3. Talk to a friend - I probably chat Ranay's ear off those mornings, I hope she forgives me.
  4. Get a project - In the past I've planned a Caribbean themed party, redecorated my bedroom, and created a family picture wall. This year I am doing the Layout a Day Challenge - 31 layouts in 31 days. I got started a little late so I am trying to catch up. Ranay challenged me. Here's the link: http://www.bigpicturescrapbooking.com/janchallenge.php
  5. St John's Wort - 3 caplets a day helps keep me happy. Unfortunately I can't take it this year while I'm pregnant, but I swear by this stuff.
  6. My garden catalogs start arriving. My husband hates this part because then I talk and plan, and talk and plan, ( where does Abi get it from) about plants I want to buy and where to put them. This year I want a dwarf cherry bush for the backyard and clematis to plant by my front door. I thinking Jackamanii but if you have any favorites, let me know.

Best of Luck and Just Keep Swimming!!!!!

2 comments:

Ranay said...

What a great post Donalee. Before I even read through the entire entry, I was thinking that my walks with YOU save me. Getting out and talking help me too. THANKS! What a great neighbor and friend you are. Hang in there, we'll get through together. And way to go on the scrappin'! You are on a roll.

Aaron said...

Girls nights once a month.

Working out.

Shopping for a new outfit (even if it is for my kids)

Talking to friends.

Hmmmmm, I think that fights the boredom for me. I don't get the blues so much, but def. have a harder time keeping busy. Hope you are doing okay. Miss you!