Sunday, March 14, 2010

Little Blessings

The other day I was a whining a little to my friend about the craziness of our lives, mostly due to the demands of our church callings. To which she reminded me, "But just think of all the blessings you are receiving." At first I thought "Humph, I don't want these blessings" but on further reflection I really could see the blessings.

1. My great and adorable kids who are healthy, intelligent and generally good- natured and obedient. Last Sunday we were all lounging around the living room, curled up on couches or in blankets listening as Kris and I took turns reading "Harry Potter" for nearly an hour. I had to take a mental picture of that moment because I was just so content being with my little family.
I've been coaching Tal's YMCA basketball team and it has been a blast to watch him and the other players grow and develop. Abi is playing basketball as well and she is such a scrapper. She just goes after the ball on defense and is becoming a better shooter. Leah is going to Nursery again. After our time change to 1-4 church she wouldn't go unless I stayed but thanks to many prayers and some loving leaders, (and the bubbles), she goes with a little wave and a "bye-bye."
2. A little bit of financial security. I hate to say it for fear of tempting fate. We've had a few little problems and fixes crop up in the last little bit that had they happened 2-3 years ago would have sent me into a panic to find the money. But we just shrugged and wrote the checks out of our savings and said "It will be OK." Oft times the green eyed monster still plagues me but I am working on being happy and grateful for my little piece of heaven.

3. The onset of Spring. A little over a week ago as the snow was rapidly melting I went out and shoveled the top 8 inches of snow off of my corner flower garden. And there under the snow were my little primroses, all green and growing. To me they speak of endurance and hope. Good things are right around the corner, under the snow just waiting to poke through. The increasing light does wonders for my moods and everyone in our family enjoyed the first non-freezing Saturday outdoors.

4. Little Blessings. Sometimes good things pop up that I forget to be thankful for. For instance, my brother's friends were trading out a slightly used dishwasher which he got for us for $50. Then my brother was able to fix it. We have a spot just big enough for it in our kitchen if we slide a set of cabinets down to the sliding door. With hopefully not too much work, I'll have a nearly new dishwasher by next weekend. Just a small thing - but a big blessing to me.

The Moral ( As my mother would say): Heavenly Father is just waiting to bless our lives both big and small, probably mostly small but significant. Whatever we may sacrifice in service to him is returned tenfold. He loves us.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I can see you chewing out the ref in the first picture ;)! Thank you for sharing your blessings! Congrats on the dishwasher!

funkytownfamily said...

What a wonderful view on your busy life! We love you so much and appreciate what a wonderful Mom you are and that our little Justin has such great cousins. Keep up the wonderful accomplishments.