Sunday, August 31, 2008

Fife Family Mini-Reunion

Dear Readers,
My blog is also my journal because frankly I am not good at writing in a journal but I do love posting pics of my family and what we do. So this record will have to suffice. I apologize that I often wax long on the goings on ( is that even a real phrase) of my family but hey, it's MY blog.

I'm also feeling a bit lonely tonight because my handsome husband and awesome older kids are up camping in Tendoi at the Hayes family reunion but I had to stay home with little Leah who has an ear infection. I just got Leah down to sleep so I'm stealing a few minutes to post about our Fife Family Mini-Reunion. We have to call it a mini-reunion because Mallory and Jared, 2 of my siblings, couldn't make it because they were still working their summer jobs at a resort just outside of Zions National Park.

August 15th and 16th we gathered at Nana and Papa Fife's home in Lewisville for a weekend of fun, family and food. We started out by making tie dyed t-shirts for all of the grandchildren, seven of them now. Even little Leah got a onsie. Kris also joined in the fun and made himself a tee. We donned each of the non-baby kids in aprons and rubber gloves and let them go wild, with a little supervision. Then Kalene helped us make marshmallow shooters. How cool is that. Kris shot a marshmallow at Talmage and he started to cry. So then he shot one at close range at me to see if it really hurt. Sure enough, it stung a bit. So we had to make the rule that they could only shoot them out into the grass or at the cows. (They were happy to do this as one of the heifers was in heat and bellering up a storm.)


Then for dinner we roasted hot dogs and brats over the Chimea (sp?). Ooooh tasty. Then we set up the tents for sleeping. The five older kids - Gabby, Abi, Sterling, Talmage, and Kirsten - all slept in one tent. Papa Fife slept in his own tent next door. After the tents were set up we used the Howell's projector to show a movie on the side of the house. I made sticky carmel popcorn and provided Red vines for the show. We watched "The Spiderwick Chronicles" and they loved it. By then the kids were so tuckered out they went right to sleep in their sleeping bags in the tent. All other grownups slept inside in nice, warm beds.



Nana and Papa made breakfast the next morning. There is Papa working the grill. After everyone got dressed in their new matching tie dye shirts we played everyone's favorite game, BINGO!!! The kids love it because Nana buys awesome prizes for them to win. She bought out Big Lots and the Dollar Store this year.


Then we filled at least 200 water balloons and headed for Rigby Lake. We enjoyed making sand castles and playing in the water. Water ballon volleyball was a favorite but then it got out of hand and turned into an all out water ballon fight for a few minutes. When all grandchildren we crying we went back to volleyball.


After one last dinner we had my birthday cake, raspberry cheesecake - Thanks mom. Then we loaded up our exhausted children and headed home. We took a lot of fun memories and a little lake sand with us.

1 comment:

Carmel said...

I was searching online tonight and found your bolg. My fathers family are Fifes and they also had a Meek family name. MyLines come from Ebenezer Fife from NC. I live in FL. Contact me so we can share family info we may be connected.
Carmelpivacco@aol.com