Monday, July 20, 2009

Dresser Rehab

One of my projects for the summer is to redecorate Tal's room. He has picked Star Wars for a theme and his favorite color is red. After some online shopping, I think I have a plan worked out. The first step was to rehab his old dresser. It's actually a dresser that my mom had when she was a girl that I had stripped and painted for Abi before she was born. As we didn't know whether she was a boy or girl before birth we decorated her nursery in Winnie the Pooh and so the dresser was a turquoise blue and sunshine yellow. I've been following Kimba at http://asoftplacetoland-kimba.blogspot.com/ for a few months with all of her furniture rehabs and love of spray paint and caught the bug. My friend Becca is also a great inspiration with her creativity and style, everything she touches turns out sooo cute. So I took the plunge.I washed the whole dresser down with TSP substitute and then sanded it with my handheld electric sander. I had to to a little hand sanding but it was mostly just to rough up the finish to help the primer stick. Then I primed it with Rustoleum primer from Home Depot. The doors and drawers are sprayed with Rustoleum's Colonial Red in Satin. The white is Valspar from Lowes. I love how it turned out so crisp and clean. We added new pulls and hinges and it's almost like new. In fact, my dad thought is was. Nope, I just painted the old one. I love that it's oil based so it dries harder than when I hand painted with a latex paint. I'll post more pics of the room when I'm done.

5 comments:

Anneka said...

The dresser turned out great! Can't wait to see more when you get it done!

Unknown said...

you are so talented and always find ways to make things work from what you have, I need to take lessons

Kristi said...

I really like the colors that you chose. Great makeover!

Nicole A. said...

It looks so awesome! Love it and Love the red! What a great redo!

Sara said...

Turned out great. The red and white look fabulous together. Well done!