Sunday, July 5, 2009

Oh what do you do in the summertime?

Oh we sit on our porch eating ice pops and cookies and watch all of our neighbors go by.
Oh we hike up the Cress Creek Nature Trail and have a picnic. ( PS we hiked it on July 3rd, 2 days before the Post Register profiled it.) It is a great little hike outside of Ririe, near Heise. It's only about 1 1/2 miles and has little signs that tell about the topography, plant and animal life.
Here we are enjoying our picnic by the creek. It was a beautiful, cool and shady spot.
Oh, I work in my gardens and pull lots of weeds. My dianthus are blooming a profusion of pinks and whites. My bleeding hearts are still going and the geranium and lobelia are starting to take off. My hostas looked really great but we had a big hailstorm which punched big holes into the leaves.
This is my butterfly/hummingbird garden which unfortunately hasn't had many visitors. My wiegela in the middle suffered some transplant shock and dropped all of its blooms but it seems to be perking back up. I also have purple salvia, magenta Sweet William, Bachelor's Buttons, a peony that didn't bloom but it is it's first year, a pink ( yes I said pink) coneflower that is just getting a good start, bee balm, blue delphiniums and pink yarrow which haven't bloomed yet, and some red hot salvia that will hopefully bloom soon. I also planted parsley at the back to attract the butterflies. Of course I am already dreaming of the additions I can make next year.
And sometimes I even like to lay on my back and watch as the clouds go by. Is that what you do?

No comments: