Monday, August 24, 2009

First Day of School

Everyone in the Meek household has been anxiously awaiting this day for the last few weeks. The excitement started mounting as we bought our crayons, glue and other supplies at the end of July. Then we started shopping for pants, long sleeve shirts and new shoes and the excitement built. A week and a half ago we found out who their teachers would be and they literally jumped up and down for joy as they got the teacher they wanted. We packed our bags last Wednesday and on Thursday went to Back to School Night. Abi and Tal met their teachers and found their desks. Last night they picked out their new outfits to wear and laid them out. This morning they bounded out of bed at their alarms and were dressed before I could ask. ( I hope this lasts, but I'm pretty sure by the end of the week I'll be dragging them out of bed again.) I was even up on time and made a breakfast of pancakes to start them off. Then while Tal was brushing his teeth, he came to me and said, "Mom, I'm going to miss you."

Oh, I'm going to miss you too, Abi and Tal. As much as I said I was excited for school to start so I could shop with only 1 kid, or finally really clean my house, or not be feeding someone and cleaning up all day - I'm going to miss you. I'm going to miss lazy mornings, picnics, hearing you laugh and play with your friends outside, having you raid the raspberries, peas and strawberries, and just having you around. After Kris took Abi and Tal to school this morning, and Leah was still sleeping ( after another rough night), I had that moment where you think, "What am I going to do with myself?" And then I remembered the piles and piles of things I've been putting off until the start of school and yet I put them off for a few more minutes to record this moment.

2 comments:

Becca said...

I am going to miss my kids too!!! I know what you mean though about a few extra minutes to do some things. I actually got to catch up on some cleaning and blogging!

Nicole said...

I'm only missing 1 for half a day - I can't imagine 2 gone all day long!!! Now get some rest while they are gone, the work will be there when you are rested.