Sunday, January 29, 2012

7 Months and a Big Baby

It seems that this month Eva made the big jump from little baby to big baby all at once. She has reached some major milestones and is growing up way too fast for mom. Eva learned to sit up on her own. Just recently she has also started scooting around on her little bum. Eva has learned to babble "Dadda" but no "Mama" yet. Her hair is coming in really well now and she is going to be another little curly blonde.
She has two bottom teeth, great for biting crackers and anything else that come close to her mouth. Two more teeth on the top are so close to breaking through. Eva has been a really good teether though, no fevers and not much fussing.
Eva started on crackers and pureed food this past month. She loves graham crackers, arrowroot biscuits, puffs, and town house crackers, but Chicken in a Biscuit are her favorite. One afternoon the older kids were having them for a snack and Eva fussed until she received one too. Sweet manna from heaven, Eva was hooked and licked and mushed about 6 crackers. Eva also loves bananas, peaches and pears but the veggies have not been her favorite. She will take one or two bites then rear her head back and toss it side to side trying to dodge the spoon.
Eva is becoming really playful and Leah loves to entertain her. This day Leah begged for rides in the laundry basket so I pulled Leah and Eva up and down the hallway. Another favorite time is bath time when Leah and Eva splash in the water and play toys. Then can play in the water for the better part of an hour. Eva has learned to play peek a boo and can pull the blanket up to cover her face and then down again grinning and giggling the whole time.
Right about 6 months Eva stopped taking her usual naps. Previously I would nurse her to sleep and then transfer her to my bed where she would settle in on her tummy. But just past 6 months her eyes would "Bing" open and that would be the end of the nap. For several weeks a very grumpy mommy and tired Eva struggled along until I gave in to sleep training for naps. Sleep training, or crying it out, is soooooooo hard for me. The sound of my babies crying hits the perfect frequency for my ears to literally ring in pain. We would nurse to the point of sleep with her little seahorse singing lullabies and then I would lay Eva in her crib. The first time she fussed for 10 minutes before falling to sleep, the second time for 5 minutes. I wish I could say it has been smooth sailing since then but I don't lie. Most days she will fuss for a minute and then nap well, but a few times I have rescued the wailing baby after 15 minutes because my breaking heart can't take it. Night time sleeping has also improved. The majority of nights she sleeps until 4 or 5 am before waking to nurse but once in a while we still pull all-nighters. Though I miss the sound sleep of sleeping alone, the lovely feel of a warm baby snuggled next to me is priceless.

No comments: