Monday, January 12, 2009

BYU Jerusalem Center 10 year Anniversary

It almost seems like a dream that 10 years ago I was in Jerusalem Isreal living at the BYU Jerusalem Center for Near Eastern Studies. It is such a beautiful building in a beautiful city that I have such a love for.
Can you believe that this was the view from my balcony? Gorgeous!!! Somedays I just long to walk down the hill into the old city again, to cut over to the Garden Tomb and read or ponder for a while, to buy falafel or macaroons from the little stands in the city, to awaken to the call to prayer, to smell the bogenvia blooming near the Sea of Galilee. Oh, how I wish I could go back and drink more deeply of that experience. Sadly it seems that when thrust in the midst of the experience we don't have the wisdom or the view to enjoy it most fully. So many people express that precise sentiment to me about the days of young motherhood. I guess that each time in our lives brings particular blessings, the point is to enjoy and be grateful for them in that moment. Thankfully I asked my mom to save my e-mails so that I have a journal of sorts. Reading in it the other day helped awaken those wonderful memories. Shalom.

3 comments:

Ranay said...

What an experience! Once in a lifetime for most. I've been having those same thoughts about enjoying the moment, living in the now of motherhood, etc. There are times I just want to freeze life how it is! How blessed we are for each part of our lives!

Becca said...

I did not know this about you Donalee! What a great thing to learn about you! You are so amazing!

Amberli said...

hi, you don't know me but i was just googling the BYU jerusalem center for a relief society lesson i'm preparing and came across this post on your blog and just had to comment. i spent the summer term of '98 in the holy land and LOVED it. i miss it so much. i feel that same way you described, like it was all a dream and i'd do anything to rewind and do it again. anway - thanks for the little alk down memory lane :)