Thursday, January 8, 2009

Super Couponer

Like so many of you I have fairly recently become a couponer. Oh I started small about a year ago clipping the coupons of products we used and I'd take them with me on my usual trips to Walmart or Winco. I felt proud of myself saving $5 or so, enough to pay for our subscription to the paper I would tell myself. There are spots on TV about families who "grocery bill in half'" using coupons or "all of this" for some insane amount like $1.00. I was skeptical but interested. One friend introduced me to the Coupon Mom http://www.couponmom.com/ and another to a blog titled " Being Frugal is Fabulous" http://frugalisfab.blogspot.com/. I was introduced to Walgreen's and the great deals you can get there however I didn't use most of those products but I did save a ton on the few I did buy there. I believe in couponing but only to buy things I want to try or already use. I'm not going to buy X air fresheners just because I can get them for 9 cents. Also, if I have a coupon for 40 cents off brand X but the generic is still less expensive, I'm buying the generic. It all comes down to the bottom line.

My grocery budget is $350 month for 4 + Leah (who doesn't eat much yet but cereal, baby food I make myself, a little formula in the cereal, and those banana puffs). That's $11.30 per day for all of us or $2.82 per person per day. Most of the things I buy there are no coupons for (apples, lettuce, meat, flour, sugar etc.) or are less expensive to buy the store brand vs coupons + brands.

But today I had a coupon epiphany (Aaaaaaaaaaaaa). The Albertson's sale: Buy 30 dollars worth of listed products, earn $15 dollars toward your next purchase. ( Now I don't normally shop at Albertson's but sometimes they have great sales.) Plus I had manufacture coupons. Double plus, Albertson's had double coupons for 6 coupons up to $1.00 each.

8 boxes of Cereal 2 for $4 plus coupons plus double coupons.
6 boxes of Hamburger Helper ( sorry Kris, it's for those crazy nights and food storage) 3 for $5 plus coupons plus double coupons.
3 Minute Maid Juice boxes 3 for $10.
3 Cake Mixes 3 for $5.
Grand Total 33.99 for savings of 42.20.
But then I also earned $15 dollars off which I promptly used on the rest of my sale purchases of chicken breasts, cheese, eggs, spices (50% off by the way), oranges and pork chops. So if you subtract the $15 from the cereal etc., my cereal purchase was $18.99. Yipee.

I realize that won't happen often, but it sure was fun!!!!

4 comments:

Ali said...

what a great trip! I haven't tackled grocery coupons much, but you are inspiring me.

You may want to rethink your policy on getting things that you may not use. I never PAY money for things that I may not use, but if I can get it for free and even make money off of the transaction then I always get it because I can use the money for items I WILL use. Plus, you can donate anything you got for free that you don't use and get a tax deduction.

For instance, I have been buying 6$ boxes of Soy Joy bars that earn me a 6$ rebate. It's free. I don't know if we will even like them but I get each box for free and when I use my 3$ off coupon on each box I make 3 dollars cash. I have bought 10 boxes earning 30$ that I have used to buy toilet paper and cleaning products. If we don't like the actual bars I plan on donating them to the food bank, and get to feel good for helping out others.

So, if it is free, I always get it, especially if I can make money on the transaction.

Ali said...

BTW--Walgreens has a monthly rebate program. You can get orajel, a car freshener, and Revlon make-up for free after a walgreens rebate. Two of those purchases also are offering manufacturer rebates so you can make 15 dollars above and beyond getting the products for free.

They also have a Garnier Fructis deal on right now. Garnier is 2.99 per product and there is a Walgreens coupon that takes 2$ off in the weekly ad. You can also use the coupon from the newspaper this week to get shampoo, conditioner, and styling products for free. If you can get a bunch of those coupons from the paper you can get a ton of stuff for you stockpile. It is a doozie.

GL!!!

Ranay said...

I am Soooooo impressed! What a steal. Derick will be impressed too!! Thanks for sharing.

Jenni said...

Nice job!! Here is another to check out. www.theobsessiveshopper.com Let me know what you think.